Image Map

April 21, 2013

Awesome Alliterations in April and Instagram!

While I'm stuck inside all sniffley, stuffy, sneezy and all-out miserable I thought it would be a great time to catch up on some blogging and update you on our week (pre sickness). We have been going all out this month writing different types of poetry. Each week, I choose a different style of poetry. We discuss, practice, and write our own piece for each type.

This pass week we focused on alliterations. These, by far, have been my kiddos favorites. I shared some well know alliterations {more like tongue twisters for me since our writing block is at the end of the day when my brain is fried} like "Peter Piper....." and "Sally sells sea shells....".  Of course they had heard of them before but had no idea they go by the big, bad name of alliterations.

Here are a few activities we had fun with this week:
 
We have been learning about adjectives the past six weeks, so this activity from the amazing Cara Carroll, fit perfectly into our plans! Read her post about alliterations {HERE}. Each students came up with an adjective that described them and started with the first letter of their name. Some needed assistance from their peers (who described some of them well...needless to say) and a few came up with theirs on their own.
 
My friend Seth, who says he is selfish, needed a little less than 3 seconds to think of his. Seth is selfish.  Then asks the question "Mrs. Griffith, what does selfish mean?" My answer: "Selfish is when you don't care about anyone but yourself." Seth's reply: "Oh, well that doesn't describe me at all.  But I still like the word!" Needless to say, that's what we wrote on the chart!
 
Here are a few alliterations put into artwork.
 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Another day, I put some magnetic letters in a paper bag and had each student pick a letter. I told them that with this letter, they had to make an alliteration sentence using at least 5 words that started with the letter they picked. Here are a few pieces of their work:
 

"Larry lobster loves lattice and lickerish."
 
"Allgader Alley like Allyson allgader and Allyson allgader like apples."
 
I wanted to leave you with a few good reads for teaching alliteration to your students.
 



 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
I've had an Instagram account for awhile now, just haven't really put it into use yet. I take so many pictures in the classroom and now have a great place to share them!

Follow me @fortheloveoffirstgrade

I'm off to enjoy this beautifully gorgeous day from the window behind my couch!
 

 

4 comments:

  1. I hope you feel better! I think I may do alliterations and acrostic poems this week or next! It's time to have some fun with writing for the end of the year. Soon we will be doing our end of the year writing samples for the second grade teachers so that they can see their writing ability when they come to them. Then it'll be time to have some fun with writing. Enjoy your Sunday! I am cooped up in the media room watching movies too. yuck!

    Ashley
    Flying High in First Grade

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute ideas! Thanks for sharing! I know I have Some Smug Slugs and I might have Princess Pigtoria and the Pea! YAY!
    :)Kim

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh I love alliteration! I will have to try that one out when I am back next week! I hope you feel better Lindsay! :)

    Fashion Craze Learning Days

    ReplyDelete
  4. We worked on some alliteration too. Mostly tongue twisters. I love the idea of this chart with using each name. I also get a kick out of hearing first graders say alliteration. :)

    Brenda
    You Might Be a First Grader….

    ReplyDelete