Image Map

March 26, 2013

Adjectives you Ask?

What are adjectives you ask? One of my most favorite things to teach! There are SOOO many fun and engaging activities you can do with them. I went about introducing them this week with a few ideas I had wondering around in this ol' brain of mine.

If you're an avid blog reader of mine, you know by now that I l-o-v-e making anchor charts!! Here is the newest to my classroom collection:

{Inspired by Abby Mullins}
 
This is what I used to introduce them. I then put an object on each table. I gave them a sheet of paper and had them describe their object using adjectives.
 

 
Each day this week we talked about a different kind of adjective. First we added number words that describe, then color words, then I had them think about their 5 senses and how we could use them to describe things. Here is our final product with all the adjectives we recorded.
 
 
At the end of the week we used Babbling Abby's Popcorn Adjectives and it was a huge hit!  

 
We used the large popcorn anchor chart and used our schema to write down adjectives on the yellow kernels.  Then I pulled out all the stops...what!? We REALLY get to eat popcorn, and it's not our snack...why yes we do kiddos! From the packet, they got their own recording sheet and recorded their adjectives while eating their popcorn. We made a little craftivity to go along with it. Turned out adorbs!!
 


















Here's a few more things we will be doing with adjectives in the weeks to come!
 

 
 
 
What activities do you do in your classroom with adjectives that your kids love?
 


 

6 comments:

  1. Love all of these activities and I'll be using them when I get back to school! Your anchor chart is adorable!
    Rambling About Reading

    ReplyDelete
  2. Omg your anchor chart is so cute! My intervention kids do challenges with me where we brainstorm adjectives that relate to a topic. They love it because they compete against other grades!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness - your anchor chart is adorable! I can never make mine so pretty because I'm always in a rush.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like your kiddos had a good time with lots of great adjective activities! We love your anchor chart!! We are new followers!

    :) Tamra and Sarah
    First Grade Buddies

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your anchor chart is adorable! Mine never look like that. LOL! Love all the ideas for adjectives. Will definitely be using them back in the classroom. I am now your newest follower.
    Cindy
    First Grade A to Z

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I love, love, love the idea of putting an object on the table for the students to list adjectives! Thank you for sharing all of your fun ideas!
    :)Kim

    ReplyDelete